Reply To: Tourism is Destructive : Discuss (and Solve!)

Home Forums Stuff to Talk About Tourism is Destructive : Discuss (and Solve!) Reply To: Tourism is Destructive : Discuss (and Solve!)

Catherine
Keymaster

Okay – I’m just trying to figure out how this works (new thing – fora!). So here’s what a friend wrote to me after she read the post (just to push along a discussion)(And, okay, to show that I’m not making it up):

“That’s exactly how I felt while I was there. Honored to be there. Really taken care of. A place that I didn’t think existed anymore. Incredible interactions with the local folks, thanks to you (I think). Amazing extreme hospitality, which is clearly just what happens there. Radical hospitality (better way to say it). At one point when we went into the town, I know we had been there before, but I really looked around and realized, this is an actual town. I could stay in a hotel – what a totally weird and completely different experience that would’ve been. It would have seemed so arms-length. I felt like I was part of the fabric of the place. You can’t put a price on that. Can you even really offer that to people.? Not to very many, I don’t think. But what a wonderful, incredible gift if you can. and if anyone can do it, it’s you.”